Do these filters have an expiration date?
No. The filters have an unlimited shelf life as long as they are stored away from chemicals, moisture and extreme or greatly fluctuating temperatures. For this reason, we always recommend purchasing a Super Value package, which offers you an additional discount on each filter.
How long does the fridge water filter last? Why do I need to change the refrigerator water filters?
It is recommended that you replace your water filters every six months. Over time as the filter adsorbs and blocks water contaminants, the filter will become saturated reducing the flow of water and filtration ability. Newly formed bacteria will start to saturate the filter increasing the risk that bacteria will enter into your drinking water. This is also true for the ice maker as some bacteria can survive temperatures below zero degree, therefore, even ice can become contaminated. Once the refrigerator water filter has been soaked on its initial use, it should be changed 6 months thereafter unless otherwise stated.
I just installed a new filter and the water tastes funny. What could be the reason?
The funny taste is most likely the result of compressed air bubbles in the filter which are released into the water when the filter is first installed. We recommend discarding the first gallon of water, subsequent gallons should be free of air bubbles.
My filter is leaking. Do you have any trouble-shooting advice?
First, open the filter compartment to be sure the o-ring is properly seated in the groove. If the o-ring is in place and the filter continues to leak, apply a small amount of vegetable oil directly to the o-ring to help create a seal.
How would I find out if my refrigerator contains a built-in filter?
For the most part, side-by-side refrigerator models contain some type of built-in water dispenser and icemaker with a filter. If your refrigerator is not side-by-side, we recommend checking in the following places for a filter:
- Inside of the refrigerator – Look for a cylinder filter canister hanging down from the top of the refrigerator (filter will generally be found in the top-right corner).
- Inside of the refrigerator – The filter may drop down or slide out of the ceiling compartment of the refrigerator.
- Bottom of the refrigerator – The filter may be located in the front grille at the bottom of the refrigerator.
Do the gaskets on my filter require any lubrication?
In most cases, you will not need to lubricate the gaskets for any of the water filters. However, some older Frigidaire models do contain o-rings for which lubrication is helpful. If the filter does not come with a package of lubricant, we recommend lubricating the o-ring with a small amount of vegetable oil to aid in the filter replacement process and to prevent leaks.
How do I know when the filter is properly installed?
All of the filters will hit a stop point once they are tightly installed. As long as you install the filter by hand (without using any tools), you should feel the filter reach the stop point when it is properly installed. Most of the filters reach the stop point after only a quarter or a half turn. However, the GE MWF unit requires a firmer turn to properly seal the o-ring, so do not hesitate to turn the filter a little harder.
How can I reset the indicator light for filter change reminders?
Every manufacturer has slightly different procedures for resetting the indicator light. You will see instructions for several of the most popular brands below, but please visit the product page of the particular filter for specific instructions if you do not see your brand listed here:
- Frigidaire – push the reset button on the water dispenser and hold until you see the green light flash (this can take up to 15 seconds).
- GE – press the Reset Water Filter button on the dispenser and hold for 3 seconds.
- Whirlpool – push and release the light switch a total of 5 times within 10 seconds. If you see a Filter button on the refrigerator, push and hold this button for 5-10 seconds.
- Samsung – push the Child Lock and Ice Type buttons at the same time and hold for 3 seconds. (Do not hold the buttons longer than 3 seconds. If the two buttons are held simultaneously for 5 seconds, the reset function will stop. In this case, let go of the buttons and repeat the procedure once more. The water filter indicator light will change to green.)
How do I know if the Kenmore filters fit my refrigerator?
The Kenmore filters can fit multiple refrigerators, you can check the Kenmore refrigerator water filters page for more details. The Whirlpool Refrigerator Water Filter 1 & Kenmore Water Filter is the most popular package in users.